Race Reports‎ > ‎

Wayward 1 - Sunday 16th October 2016

posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:59 PM by Admin hycnz


1st Satisfaction
2nd Waterwitch
3rd Eye Spy
4th Blue Beat
5th Mindbender

Arabesque and Renaissance also spent the night with the others at Mullet bay.

Race Report from Waterwitch

We delayed setting off from the Marina at West Park until the heavy rain stopped at about 1300. It was a wise decision because a little bubble of dry weather followed Waterwitch most of  the way to Mullet Bay. The sailing conditions were very pleasant with a gentle and consistent breeze between 10-15knots, giving us a broad reach on starboard tack all the way from Kauri Point to the entrance to Islington Bay. A light rain squall and a building wind encouraged a prudent furling of the genoa and wearing round, rather than gybing, onto port, as the seas were kicking up to be quite lumpy! A dead run took us along the east side of Motutapu Island and by 1530 we were snug at anchor in Mullet Bay.
The evening was very entertaining watching the treasure seekers ashore locating and retrieving a large orange float. Then Satisfaction, with Bluebeat in perfect harmony, gently dragged their shared anchor out to sea, creating more excitement. A quick phone call to our ex-commodore Gary, to ask if they realised what was going on, because the plastic, blow up chick in the bikini, who'd been left on watch, still hadn't moved to raise the alarm. He assured me they knew they were adrift and soon they were safely back in the bay. It was great to be visited by Gary and Gaylene, and then later by Trevor, to give us the starting instructions for the Wayward race home. Without the VHF working we were out of radio contact.
 Up early next morning and a hearty breakfast set Gary and I up for what looked to be a sunny and gentle sail back home. However by the time we started at 1120 the wind had picked up and the clouds were barrelling in from the west. We started first with a six minute advantage for being two handed, followed by Minbender, Blue Beat, Satisfaction and lastly Eye Spy. In the Rakino passage the wind really freshened and we were glad of a reef in the main and the No 2 headsail. The wind quickly freshened to 25, then 30+knots and half way down the east side of Rangitoto we furled the headsail to give me a break from winching so much genoa in after every tack. Having committed to the inshore route we were disconcerted to find both Satisfaction and Eye Spy had gained heaps of ground on us. Unfurl the headsail again, because we thought we would ease off and reach across to North Head. The b****y wind was still on the nose, but the No 2 gave us better upwind performance so we held Eye Spy off, and when the wind dropped below 30knots we started to regain ground on Satisfaction. Round North Head we were closer to Phil but to leeward, and had to put in an extra tack. The wind had followed us round and it was a beat all the way up the harbour to Kauri Point, with the wind gusting back up to 30knots above the bridge. We were gaining on Satisfaction, and thought we had caught him when he appeared to run aground just close to Pile Buoy! He made a miraculous recovery and we ended up a close second on the line, as we eased sheets after Kauri Point, the first time off the wind since Mullet Bay. What did happen to the SW moderate breeze that was forecast?

Thanks to both Nigel and Trevor for organising the race, and a good time was had by all. 

Gill Moore

Race report from Eye Spy:
Looking at the weather forecast we decided to head for Mullet Bay for the night prior to Wayward 1.
I had Mark and Sam on board for this race. We got the main up on the way to Kauri Point and the No.3 headsail was hanked on. Just as that happened we were hit by a rather heavy squall complete with hail. If we weren’t awake then we sure as hell were now! The foot of the sail came loose and the sail was blown up the forestay. Any chance some could get that back!? Mark and Sam got it sorted and I got steerage back. Nice work!
Once we reached our destination the wind decreased a little and social gatherings were evident on a number of boats. I updated all concerned about the race details and confirmed that everybody knew their start times.
The start line meant we needed to go outside of the bay in order to hoist sails then sail into the bay when your start came up. The wind was predicted to be 20 knots but we heard it was peaking at 27 knots at Bean Rock so we chose to use No.2 headsail and full main. As it turned out we were last to leave and had all those ahead to watch and learn from. Soon became clear a reef would be a good idea so we did that just before we got into the heavy winds off the northern side of Rangitoto. (still in the lee of Mototapu) Pretty tough going but our sail configuration was great. The boat was balanced on the helm and we were able to point quite well.

We noticed a few of the competitors sailing bare-headed. I guess things were getting uncomfortable for them?

We passed MindBender and set after BlueBeat. Gaza appeared to be sailing to Still-water so we tacked and had a good lead on them as well. Satisfaction was revelling in these conditions but Waterwitch was not that far behind. Eye Spy kept them both honest but the conditions suited the heavier boats and we had to settle for third place. Only 4 minutes after Waterwitch, well done to my crew. Just under three hours to get back. Not bad eh. Hope you get over those hang-overs.
Bring on the next Wayward.